A fire safety official was injured Tuesday during a pre-Independence Day fireworks demonstration in Mount Prospect, Ill.
Laura Berros, the assistant executive director of the Illinois Fire Safety Alliance, was discussing the dos and don'ts of novelty fireworks during a press conference when a canister fell over, shooting fireworks into the crowd and burning Barros' foot, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Hillside Fire Chief Michael Kuryla told the Chicago Sun-Times that the incident proved that, no matter who you are, you are -- literally -- playing with fire when using even seemingly harmless fireworks purchased from retailers such as Walmart.
"I don’t care who does it, you are at risk … the point is that if anything it could have been worse," Kuryla told the Sun-Times.
"This was as safe as you could have made it and it still happened," Barros added, according to NBC Chicago.
Given the dry, hot conditions in the area, fire safety officials are urging extra caution as individuals prepare for their Fourth of July celebrations.